I’m reviewing my weekly productivity (using the RescueTime app).
Maybe you will find this useful.
- My “Productivity Pulse” has been increasing the past couple of months to 82.
- I spent 63 hours on my computer (which is primarily only used for work purposes)
- 31% of that time was working outside of “business hours” (before 7am or after 8pm)
- I spent more than half of a “work day” on Sunday – when I should be honoring the Sabbath
- Only 5 hours was spent on Facebook!
- Using the premium version of RescueTime, I can see how much time was spent editing each recording. Not including the RX processing, etc, my editing averages to be about 1.7x.
Observations from these numbers:
- My Productivity Pulse was in the 60’s when I first started tracking, so RescueTime app has definitely been an eye-opener for me!
- I’m not upset for working more than a typical 40-hour week because:
- I get to work from home
- Building and launching the Academy is like a 2nd job
- We are quarantined, after all
- Working outside of “business hours” during the week isn’t a big concern to me for the same reasons mentioned in the bullet above
- Working on Sunday is NOT something I am okay with!
- 5 hours of Facebook is less than an hour a day. That’s okay considering I run three groups
- Getting done in only 1.7x the length of the file is pretty good. I’m very happy with that
Note: For some reason, RescueTime isn’t measuring iZotope RX activity. I use the RX Batch Process, which means I can toss files at it, let it chew away at the file, while I do something else. But it would really help me come up with a full “start-to-finish” measurement of time if it were reported.
How I can improve productivity next week:
My greatest opportunity is clear:
!!! Get my clients to send their files on time!!! (2-3 business days prior to the due date).
Other opportunities are:
Use Facebook on my phone for personal stuff and only on my computer for work/business/marketing purposes. I should be able to get it down to 3.5 hours (30 minutes a day).
Note: Twitter was 55 minutes last week, which is mostly personal use. That needs to be cut out too.
I could also outsource more work to get my total hours down. That’s important to realize – because eventually we will again be visiting each other, traveling, attending conferences, etc. Time will become extremely valuable again.
More productivity equals more profitability
I use RescueTime, which is normally $6 a month. Considering it has helped me focus more on work, I can easily say it saves me at least 3 hours a week.
If you estimate making $20 an hour (the very least you should be valuing your time at), then RescueTime would be “making you” $80 a month.
How do you measure productivity?
What do you do to track your work day?
What can you be doing to improve productivity?
Do you mind working extra right now?